Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lactose Intolerance/ Probiotics

One nutrient that lactose intolerant people may be missing is probiotics.  If you're like me and you were on antibiotics a lot as a child, this may be something necessary to keep from getting ill.  Candida was like this vile, sneaky serial attacker in my early adulthood.  I would get a black scaly rash somewhere on my skin, then I would have an outbreak of this rash.  Of course when I went to an MD, he gave me a cream for the rash.  When I went to another doctor who was more naturalistic, he put me on a yeast free diet for three months and the rash went away.  To avoid ever having to go through this diet again, I made sure that I ingested ample probiotics.

Yogurt is an excellent source of probiotics.  Now, I find that yogurt doesn’t have enough lactose to hurt me unless I eat a lot of it.  But there are ways around it in case you are that sensitive.  Goat’s milk has less lactose than cow’s milk.  I have a relative who has more severe symptoms when he drinks milk; he will get arthritis.  Goat’s milk doesn’t do this to him, but cow’s milk will.  Therefore, one way to get around the lactose intake is by drinking goat yogurt.  If you find that you are sensitive to even that, you may have to resort to supplements.  I’ve written about a product called Inner Eco, it’s a coconut kefir that I love.  I drink a shot glass of this stuff every day.  New Chapter is a reputable vitamin company who has a probiotic product as well.

Allergies can be a real drag, especially in cases like lactose intolerance when it deprives us of nutrients.  Remember, however, there is often a healthy way around it.  You just have to find it, and go for it.  I hope this post was helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment