Monday, January 31, 2011

Sugar II

There are natural sugars and natural sugarless sweeteners available.  I find that honey, real maple syrup (not the Mrs. Butterworth junk for example) and coconut palm sugar do the job and they don’t make me ill.  For some, like those with Candida or any other yeast infection, there shouldn't be any such sweetener your diet, at least until you heal.  Anyone who has problems with obesity also needs to cut sugars to a minimum.  Stevia and xylitol are ways to sweeten foods and avoid sugar.  I fully admit that stevia is an acquired taste.  I also confess I don’t possess that acquired taste yet.  There are some things I enjoy stevia with.  For example, there is a rice protein shake that I'll drink before a workout; I sweeten this with stevia.  I also make kettle corn without sugar, I actually enjoy popcorn with stevia very much.  Xylitol is something that I use very rarely.  I've used it mostly for baking.  Because xylitol is something that can't be eaten generously, I tend to use some xylitol with some other natural sweetener.

In any case, the processed white junk is just something to be avoided...ALWAYS.  My chiropractor actually refers to it as white death because all that it has to offer is illness.  Cane sugar isn’t necessarily bad, although it may not be for everyone.  Some shouldn’t ingest cane sugar at all; but for the people who can, there is quality raw sugar available.  Just be sure to purchase it from a market or store with integrity and standards.  There are products disguised as raw sugar but they are basically molasses mixed with other processed junk which isn't better than white sugar.

With the many problems with obesity in this country, I can see why so many try to demonize sugar.  Sugar itself isn't bad.  There is natural sugar in many nutrient rich foods, the refined white junk that we know of comes from natural sources; either sugar beet or sugar cane.  Sugar isn't the problem or the enemy, the problem is what happens to the sugar during processing.  By the time it is ready to be sold, it is then our enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment