Saturday, January 22, 2011

Acupuncture

A medical practitioner I knew once told me that if I am to see an acupuncturist, make sure that he/she is an OMD (an individual with a doctorate in oriental medicine) or an NMD (Naturopathic Medical Doctor).  Then she gave me the worst acupuncture treatment I have ever received and I never went back to her for another treatment.  When I returned home to California, I saw my acupuncturist and friend Cheryl Thomas of Acustone that I’ve known and ran to for treatment for many years.  Even though she didn’t have an OMD, she had the training, knowledge, degree and licensing to save my health more times than I can count.  Not only do I trust her completely without question or qualm, but I recommend her to anyone.  I went to see her for everything; back pain, illnesses, gallbladder issues, heart issues, fibroids and even migraines.  Most of the times I saw her over the last couple of years were because of a migraine.  I would get one, see her, and then it was gone by the next morning.  When she couldn’t help me with a health issue, that's when it was time to see my ND.  In California, acupuncturists were often primary healthcare providers as are nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants; so I always sought help from my acupuncturist first when I was ill.

In Denver there is a dynamic duo that runs the Healing Village Collective.  Both are brilliant Bastyr graduates (coincidentally like all the NDs that I've seen in the past), both are NDs and both are amazing acupuncturists and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) practitioners.  I haven’t worked with them for very long, however, through the care of Dr. Courtney Carag at Healing Village, the dysmenorrhea I suffered from due to low progesterone for years finally seems to be taking a permanent hike.  I haven't had that excruciating pain for the last two months; it's wonderful!

I know I’m not the only one who found relief from acupuncture.  The fact that medical schools train people like the amazing doctoral pair at the Healing Village Collective, tells me that acupuncture must have been closely observed in more controlled environments.  Even if it hasn’t been, I've learned from my own experience that acupuncture works miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment