Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Healing Foods: Yam/ Sweet Potato

Sweet potato is one of my favorite healing foods.  I don’t believe that it worked all on its own, however.  Once I made adjustments to my diet, however, it then made a wonderful supplement. 

Wild yam is one of the ingredients in the progesterone cream that I used to take.  Wild yam and sweet potato have some compound that helps balance hormones; making it great for someone like me who has low progesterone.  Besides the fact that sweet potato is medicinal, it is also very tasty!

Sweet potato is something I’ve had or served as a snack, side dish and even for dessert.  For a quick snack I would just bake it and eat it the way one would eat a regular baked potato.  On days when I really craved it and I couldn’t wait for it to bake, I would go down to the health food store and buy sweet potato chips.  As a side dish I’ve done two things after chopping it up and steaming it; I would just serve the steamed chopped potatoes and sprinkle a little cinnamon and maybe nutmeg or for Thanksgiving and Christmas I would mash it and make a pudding with apples.  For dessert, I’ve made sweet potato pie. 

I’ve seen members of my family do other really creative things with sweet potato.  However it is served, it is good to know that something as yummy as sweet potato can be so good for a woman’s health!

2 comments:

  1. I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOUR DOING BETTER. I LOVE SWEET POTATOES TOO. MY MOM SPRINKLES CINNAMON ON THEM. IT IS TASTY! WHAT ABOUT AVOCADOS? I'VE HEARD IT IS BENEFICAL TO WOMENS HEALTH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocados are very beneficial for women's health. If a woman has low progesterone, however, it's best to stay away from them until she is under the care of a physician. I can now eat avocados because I'm on prescribed Chinese herbs that are really helping. Avocado, almonds, haddock, bread (because of yeast) and soy are just some of the long list of foods that I needed to stay away from until I got help from my doctor.

    ReplyDelete