Friday, January 7, 2011

Health and Politics: Bogus Data (Part I)

I’m sure that most of you have heard of British scientist Dr. Andrew Wakefield.  If you haven’t, I’ll briefly explain what I know.  The media claims that Dr. Wakefield was the first doctor who aroused a suspicion that vaccines cause autism.  Many parents were afraid to vaccinate their children because of this, There was much focus especially on the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella shot).  His study was recently found to be fraudulent.  The study declares that the participants became autistic after vaccines were given, yet some of the participants of his study were allegedly autistic before.  Wakefield was accused and found guilty of changing the data in order to receive $750,000 from a group of lawyers who were going after the companies that produce vaccines.

There is information from both sides that don't quite add up for me.  I will elaborate on that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment