Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hormonal Imbalance

This post is for women; especially women like me who have low progesterone and high estrogen or dysmenorrhea.  Dysmenorrhea, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is excruciatingly painful menses; it could also be your first clue that there is a hormonal imbalance or something else like endometriosis.  If you have dysmenorrhea, see your doctor right away.

Dysmenorrhea was my big clue that my hormones were not balanced.  The doctor gave me progesterone cream, which was a little tricky because you have to take it some days and not take it others.  There were some months I was so busy that I forgot to take it almost entirely and those months I had to face serious immobilizing pain.  A girlfriend of mine found some information in an alternative health encyclopedia about low progesterone.  Because I was under the care of a doctor, the information that she gave was more to aid my therapy.  She gave me this VERY long list of foods that I needed to eliminate from my diet for a while and one of the foods that I had to increase was sweet potato.  I ate many sweet potatoes that month and happily because I LOVE them.  That month also happened to be one where I forgot to take my progesterone.  Well, that month I didn’t have any pain.  The encyclopedia stated that sweet potato helps to balance hormones.  Now, I know that elimination of foods that influenced a rise in estrogen really helped as well, but I admit, my favorite part was all the sweet potato that I had to eat.

Low progesterone can be extremely painful, inconvenient and sometimes even fatal.  I had a miscarriage last year and I have a great suspicion that it has something to do with my body’s inability to produce enough progesterone.  I now almost have it under control thanks to my amazing new doctor from the Healing Village Collective.  Thanks to her therapy and guidance plus the exercise program that I started for myself, I'm feeling better than I have been in weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment