Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journey to My Health (Migraines Part I)

I would like to address a comment I’ve received from one of my readers.  He suggested that the therapy I'm going through between two doctors for my migraines should have helped by now.  He even suggested a medication for migraines that he heard about.  I want to thank this reader, as always your comments are welcome and deeply valued.  I respectfully disagree with your suggestions, however, and would like to offer an explanation as to why.

Therapy for chronic issues sometimes take a while; it's a journey and requires patience.  When I was in the process of getting rid of depression, for example, the effects of therapy worked right away; however, it took several months to get rid of the different issues that fed the depression.  In the case of my migraines, although it is evident that the therapy I am going though is working, the issue is not yet solved so I may hit a snag or two on this journey.  I never expected that the migraines would go away immediately, and certain problems and events in life can cause setbacks such as the food poisoning that I suffered from this past weekend.

Again, in my opinion, medication has its time and place in the world of healthcare; however, what I am dealing with isn’t the time or place for it except as a temporary means of support.  Migraines are painful, there is no argument there.  If you are like me and you are getting some sort of treatment for your migraine, medication may be a way to get through the pain of a migraine up until the therapy starts to work.  I don't, however, believe in meds as a means of therapy in this case.  I don't want to just mask the pain or dull the pain with medication and then forget that there is a problem.  I would rather fix the problem and bid the migraines farewell forever.  THIS is how I believe in dealing with ANY chronic illness when possible; find the problem and fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment