Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Healing Foods: Apple Cider Vinegar



A few years ago I contracted food poisoning that my doctor had reason to suspect was viral.  She told me to kill the virus by putting two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water.  If the food poisoning is bacterial or viral, this will kill it almost every time.  It hasn’t failed me since.

Apple cider vinegar has an enormous variety of benefits.  There are entire books written about the miracle that is apple cider vinegar.  Some use it to disinfect wounds.  They say you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar; well guess what, I've caught far more fruit flies with a bowl of this stuff than I EVER could with honey.  The best facial toner (now discontinued) that I’ve ever used was an apple cider vinegar facial toner.  I’ve tried many times to make a homemade replica of it, but failed.  A friend of mine, a doctor from Russia, used to make this concoction that included apple cider vinegar and raw honey in some water.  She would drink a bottle of this stuff down whenever she felt a cold coming on.  I've done this, but haven't in years because of my many other effective ways that I know of to fight cold and flu.  I buy distilled white vinegar for cleaning jobs because it’s cheap and I can use it more generously.  I avoid ingesting it, however, because of the acetic acid; which isn’t the best thing for the digestive system.  Apple cider vinegar has malic acid, which your stomach produces for digestion; therefore it isn’t as harsh on the system.  The apple cider vinegar that I buy is usually Bragg's apple cider vinegar.  It's raw, organic apple cider vinegar that was aged in wood and it is far more expensive.  I use it more sparingly than the distilled white vinegar of course. 

This is one of those products that I keep around at all times.  I use it mostly for medicinal reasons now, but it can still be used in salads and other recipies that call for vinegar.  So hold on to your vinegar for household uses, but keep some of this around too.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment