Friday, January 7, 2011

Health and Politics: Bogus Data (Part II)

As far as the "bogus data" that was discussed in my last post; I suspect bogus information from both sides.  According to various sources it was the MMR shot that Wakefield was suspicious of.  Although I’ve heard of this fear of the MMR, it wasn’t clear why that was the feared vaccine of choice.  It isn’t the only vaccine with the neurotoxin thimerosal; which is why his suspicion seems bogus to me.  Dr. Boyd Haley, and other scientists he worked with, found that thimerosal did cause autism in laboratory rats and the University of Calvary explained how low levels of mercury (which thimerosal is loaded with) can cause a neuron to deteriorate.  It isn’t clear if the dangers of thimerosal is information that journalists just aren’t mentioning or if Wakefield was indeed a fraud and simply overlooked this fact that could have helped him in his cause.  Of course the media claims that because this bogus data was uncovered and exposed we can now “close the door” on our suspicions about vaccines and all can happily go back to vaccinating our children without fear of vaccine injury.  I fear that information is also bogus.  There are still so many unanswered questions.  Why are vaccine companies not taking advice from the FDA by taking the thimerosal out of the vaccines?  Why is it that as the amount of vaccines that were given to children increased, the number of autistic children has also risen from 1 in 5000 - 2500 all the way up to 1 in 166 -110?  That is an insanely big jump!  This correlation should be a strong prompt for doctors, scientist and the pharmaceutical industry to look at why there is a correlation. 

I plan on becoming a parent and I would LOVE to vaccinate my kids against many of these diseases.  According to all of the research that I’ve done, there are very simple ways that the pharmaceutical industry can make vaccines safer.  If it is cost that they are so afraid of, maybe they need to stop spending money on trying to hush the parents of vaccine injured children and start spending money on making vaccines safer.

3 comments:

  1. I AGREE WITH RACHAEL TOO. I WILL BE HAPPY WHEN THEY DO MAKE VACCINES SAFE. I FEEL IT IS WRONG THAT THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY IS WILLING TO SPEND MONEY ON TRYING TO HUSH PARENTS OF VACCINE INJURED CHILDREN. I HOPE SOMETIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE THIS WILL BE RESOLVED. I WOULD LIKE TO READ FUTURE POSTS ON THIS ISSUE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel and Sadmira. I believe there will be more posts in the future about this matter. Because of Wakefield, the issue just got hotter. Many parents are frustrated because they trusted their doctors and now their children are disabled; so this matter is DEFINITELY not over and won't be as long as children keep getting injured at the hands of their doctors.

    ReplyDelete