Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vitamin Intake

I’m inspired by a discussion that I had with a group of people.  One lady in the group said that she doesn’t take any kind of multivitamin.  She doesn’t feel the need for it because she eats many different fruits, vegetables and whole grains on a daily basis.  This is exactly how I want to live.  My only problem is, how does one achieve that when they have a busy lifestyle?
I have had this discussion with my doctor.  I wanted to spend about forty or fifty dollars on green supplements that I liked.  Although he felt that the supplement that I was asking him about was a good one, he stressed the importance of getting nutrients from your meals.  “Eat real food” he said.

So, to repeat the question:  How does one achieve getting their nutrients from food when one has a busy lifestyle?  Well, there is one thing I do every morning that is a start.  Before breakfast I have at least eight ounces of water if not more, then I have some fruit, then I have breakfast usually some eggs.  I used to add nutrients to those eggs by putting some brewer’s yeast on them.  Now the only problem with that is that I didn’t put enough to get the full benefit of the yeast.  This morning I’m doing something even better.  I’m having a bowl of steel cut oats which I usually top with homemade walnut milk, maple syrup for flavor and then I add about a tablespoon of Salba seeds. 

Also, when you pack a snack for work or class, you could pack some baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or celery or your favorite raw food.  When I was single, I used to buy a bunch of vegetables (about 3 days worth) and I would eat as much of these veggies fresh as I could and I would freeze the kales, asparagus and any others that froze well.  Somewhere along the way I got out of the habit, and now suffer for it.
What are some other ways?  Please comment on this if you have a habit or suggestion that would be beneficial for others to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment