Friday, January 21, 2011

A Woman's Self Image (Part I)

Hey Ladies!  We women put so much thought into looking good, don’t we?  That is why companies like Maybelline and Clinique aren’t likely to go out of business even in a miserable economy.  I am also one who has fallen in love with that dress in the window because it will accent my best features more than anything in my closet at the moment. 

As a former aerobics instructor and personal trainer, however, there is something that I notice about many of us; our fixation on improving our bodies.  Now, even though not every woman has this fixation, there are enough of us to feed the comical world from stand up to sit-com.  Many of us find it funny because even if it isn’t you or me; we can relate.

Women in my classes would often request that I did a routine that will work their abs, butt or both; it was almost always abs or butt.  I felt tremendous relief when a woman would request an arm, chest, back or leg workout.  When I moved to California, my persuasion to work antagonist muscles just didn’t fly at all; it was abs and butt all the way.

There will be nothing more satisfying than to make peace with your body.  Take it from me, I used to obsess about my body.  I just felt like I wasn’t ever skinny enough and yet even before my days of fitness, people would always tell me what a great figure I had.  I used to do local modeling which I thought would improve my confidence and self image, ironically it made my self-image far worse.  Everything else fell into place once I made peace with my body.  I just decided one day that I wasn’t going to get skinny, I was going to get healthy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment