Friday, January 21, 2011

A Woman's Self Image (Part II)

In the last post I talked about making peace with your body.  I want to venture with you the journey I made toward contentment.

So how did I made peace with my body?  Well, ironically, by not being careful what I wished for.  I didn’t have a very spiritual image of myself in college.  It was, in fact, VERY superficial but I never thought that I was good enough.  I actually remember wishing for a boyfriend that though that I was good enough.  Well, I got my wish.  I met a guy who I eventually started dating.  He was very interested in me physically, but he didn’t seem interested in anything else about me.  Just to be clear, he wasn't a bad man.  He was actually a very sweet and loyal boyfriend; his brain just didn't function on an emotional or spiritual level in a relationship, not back then anyway.  This frustrating situation was my greatest blessing.  This is what finally woke me up.  I found exactly the guy I asked for only to realize that he wasn’t what I wanted.  Through this frustrating relationship, I discovered the spiritual being that I was.  I just got caught in the whirlwind of a superficial world around me.  Even after breaking up with this guy, it took me years to battle all of the demons that told me that I wasn't worth anything.  I still battle them today, but victory is already mine.  You see, the moment I acknowledged that these "I'm not good enough" messages were lies, that's the moment I won the war.

What lies are you telling yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment