Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stretching

Warming up and stretching, in my opinion, is the most important part of any aerobics class or training session.  I’ve always considered stretching to be essential mostly because it will decrease the chances of injury.  The fact that it will increase flexibility and it aids in burning calories and fat is an added bonus.  I would stretch before and after any workout whether it’s cardio or sculpting and for weight bearing exercise it is even more important to get into the habit of stretching. 

I usually stretch before my cardio workout and then I do weight bearing exercise after so that my muscles are warm and stretched.  Before your workout hold the stretch for about 5 to 10 seconds.  After your workout, hold that stretch for longer; about 15 to 20 seconds. 

It doesn’t hurt to stretch all of the muscle groups before a workout, but you want to focus particularly on the muscle groups that will be doing the most work.  For example, if you are going for a run, it would be most beneficial to stretch your legs, abs and low back.  It is still beneficial to stretch the arms, chest and upper back, but again, just be sure to do the muscles that will do the most work.

Below is a video to give you a visual idea on how to stretch before a workout.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment