Sunday, January 9, 2011

Coconut

I’ve written before about the benefits of coconut oil, but it looks as though much of what coconuts have to offer are of a great health benefit. 

Natural Health magazine suggests to keep some coconut milk around, however, I didn’t take that advise blindly.  I already knew the benefits of coconut water.  When one has diarrhea a very common treatment is Gatorade to replenish electrolytes.  My biggest problem with Gatorade is its artificial flavors and colors.  It isn’t real food.  Coconut water and coconut milk are both very high in electrolytes; so it is a sports drink made from Mother Nature.  I remember how my mother made coconut milk, (a main ingredient in rice and peas) she would take the coconut meet and blend it and squeeze the liquid contents from it.  I read somewhere that in the US they heat it, but I don’t know how true that is.  I not sure, however, that heating it is necessary.  Yes, coconut milk is high in saturated fat, however, it is high in medium chain fatty acids.  Coconut oil is made up of about 66% of these medium chain triglycerides which has been observed to be highly beneficial to health for many reasons.  These fats don’t require much energy for utilization so the body will burn it up very easily.  Three in particular were found to even have antimicrobial properties; lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid.  Lauric acid in particular has been known to have antiviral, antibactierial, antiprotozoal and even antioxidant properties.
Finding this info about coconuts helped me to further appreciate coming from Jamaican ancestors.  More than ever,

I’m looking forward to visiting my parent’s homeland again and having myself a nice island treat, fresh coconut water right out of the coconut before I take a spoonful of some nice coconut meat!  Mmmmmm!  Nummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment