Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Falling into Temptation

I started this particular series with the people who are trying to make changes in mind.  I woke up this morning with a hangover.  I don’t mean I drank last night or anything (although if any of you do struggle with that, please refer to my November posts entitled “The Benefits of Neurofeedback (Part 1)” and “Depression (Part 2)” because there may be help available to you).  No, I mean I’m suffering from a white flour hang over.  A white flour hang over can means sluggishness for the entire next day...yikes!  So why would I eat white flour if it does this to me you ask?  I’m going to answer that question with another question; why does anyone fall into temptation? 

A girlfriend of mine made a point about how leaders/teachers that seem perfect may seem like good role models, but they aren’t relatable enough.  I believe a good leader/teacher admits to his or her mistakes not only because it makes them more human, but because then the ones they lead or teach can develop skills on how to recover from the mistakes that they make.  My dad is a retired college professor.  He was and still is an amazing teacher who is deeply admired and respected by his former students, fellow teachers/professors and former employers.  He taught for many years; high school and then college level.  He openly admits that over the years he has made mistakes, but he would recover from his mistakes by making his students laugh and/ or by encouraging them for pointing out his mistakes.  He would recover same way when he made mistakes as a husband/parent, and he did make mistakes that we all still tease him about today!  We would tease him and he would laugh along with us.  This is one of many things that I will always love and admire about him.  Well, I may be an educator myself, but I’m not writing this from the perspective of a teacher, counselor or a leader but just as a writer who is sharing the benefits of her experiences. 

Keep reading so we can explore the world of temptation together as I sip on my milk thistle tea and hope my liver doesn’t despise me too much for the wontons that I devoured last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment