Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Recovering from Mistakes (Part 2)

Making mistakes can have its benefits, if you let it.  I’m not trying to give excuses for the mistakes I made or fabricate an excuse to permit myself to mess up again in the future.  None of us want to backslide, but let’s face reality, screwing up is just another part of life so let’s deal with it.  Looking at how mistakes can serve us is a great tool that will put us on a road to recovery.  In the past when I ate things I shouldn’t have, sometimes it has caused me to despise those foods.  Now I refuse to eat them even if it were right before me.  If I didn’t make that mistake, I may crave for those foods this very day or if I had eaten them on a day where I was really craving it, I may still have a liking for it.

I made my screw up last night serve me by using it to become more relatable on this site.  I’m hoping that that helps you feel less alone in the whoopsies that you make.  You’re not alone, we all make whoopsies.  The trick is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and ask:

  1. Am I ready to move on?
  2. Why did I mess up? 
  3. Do I hold myself fully accountable for the mistake that I made? 
  4. What steps can I take to make sure it doesn’t happen again? 
  5. In what way did my mistake serve me on my journey toward change?  
  6. Can I learn from it or laugh at it?

No comments:

Post a Comment