Monday, December 13, 2010

Household Items

One of the hardest detoxification processes that I had to go through was eliminating toxic household cleaners and all of my health and beauty items.  At the time, I did it under the advice of my chiropractor; and according to research, it seems that he advised me correctly.

Household cleaners are under observation by breast cancer researchers.  Paraben is especially under scrutiny since it has been found in breast cancer tumors.  The rule of thumb in my household is that if there is an ingredient that sounds like it came out of a chemistry lab, it's probably best left on the shelf.  Even my natural cleaners now sometimes have ingredients that I don't know much about, but I usually check with my doctor to make sure that it is safe.  For example, I had a vitamin C facial toner that I loved.  Then I found out that it had hydrogenated oil in it.  I knew enough to make sure that ingredient is never in my food, but I wasn't sure if it was safe to apply it topically.  So I asked my doctor and he said that it would be better to get a toner without that ingredient.  Luckily, I found a toner with the exact same ingredients minus the hydrogenated oil (it was made by the same company or a sister company).

You will probably never completely eliminate the toxicity in your home; I certainly haven’t in mine.  The goal is to keep trying to decrease the toxicity level as much as possible.  Do a little at a time.  When I did this inventory in my home, I was already using cleaners that were supposed to be all natural, but I still found toxins in some items.  Always read ingredients, because by doing this you are taking control over your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment