Thursday, December 9, 2010

More on Cold and Flu

Jim Duke (a botanist; medicinal plant expert for the US Department of Agriculture or the USDA) says that Garlic contains about a dozen immune-boosting substances (Jaret, 2005).  He also suggests honeysuckle and forsythia bushes.  These are sometimes used in Chinese Medicine to fight respiratory infection.  Duke will boil it and make a tea.  He warns against the taste; I would try some honey and lemon.  Lemon has vitamin C which is known to shorten the duration of a cold.

Dr. Jon Dunn of Naturopathic Health Care in California gave me a recipe to gargle with (NOT swallow):

    * Juice from ½ lemon
    * ½ tsp. salt
    * ½ tsp. honey
    * 1 oz. water
    * Cayenne (red pepper) to tolerance



I had an ear infection that caused my throat to swell up to the point where I couldn’t swallow.  After an incident where I choked on some water I decided to go to the ER.  Before I left, I decided to call Dr. Dunn on his emergency line (it was a Saturday and he wasn’t in the office).  He gave me the recipe above.  I gargled several times that day per his instructions and within hours the swelling went way down.  I don’t know if I ever told him this, but he saved my life that day.

Dr. Dunn said this recipe is good to gargle with when you feel a sore throat coming on.  This is another method I try when Wellness Fizz doesn’t work.

Reference:

Jaret (2005) Boost Your Immunity Health (Time Inc. Health) November 2005 Bol. 19 Issue 9, p118-190

No comments:

Post a Comment