Thursday, December 9, 2010

Plastic

I remember the last day I walked into my doctor’s office with my nonporous, glass like plastic bottle of water (that I carried with me everywhere).  Dr. Dunn pointed to it scathingly and with a tone of great concern in his voice he gently advised me to get rid of it.  I was really sad because I purchased several of these bottles.  He advised me to start using glass or stainless steel in its place.  From then on, although it was very difficult, I’ve done everything to eliminate plastic from my life.  Because he further warned that it messes with DNA, I also begged my husband to stop and he is having a far more difficult time with it than me.

We purchased a bunch of bottles of Voss water.  Once we finished the water, I would wash the bottle and put it away so that we could use it again.  That made it a little easier on him.  We subscribe to El Dorado and fill the Voss bottles with their spring water.  I chose Voss because the opening is so wide that it is easy to get a bottle brush in there when it is time to clean it.

Maximized Living suggests bottles #1, 2, 4 and 5 are safe, but Dr. Dunn strongly advises, when you can, stick with glass or stainless steel.  Therefore, I stay far away from plastic, but when I feel the need to make a compromise, I’ll bend if the bottle or container is #1, 2, 4 or 5. 

I’ve been doing pretty well, for the most part I almost never use plastic; the few times I do I’ve stuck with Maximized Living’s suggestion.  But now there is the question about how to invite your loved ones to change.  It is hard when you care about others and you see their habits and you know change is necessary, but no one will change until they are ready.  I guess all I could do is hope and try to inspire.

Suggestions and comments as always are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment