Saturday, December 11, 2010

Toxicity: Environmental / Spiritual

I feel the need to admit that this is where I struggle the most. Being sentimental isn’t really the most productive attribute when all you do is constantly collect stuff. I need to learn to keep pictures of family but get rid of the other useless clutter.

Clutter will give you a stuffy environment; speaking from experience, it isn’t nice. We’ve lived in our house for about a year and I still have a few boxes of stuff that I have no place for. The only reason they are still here is because their contents are of a sentimental nature. Convincing myself that I don’t need them anymore is the problem. I struggle with letting go. I once threw away a bank statement that ended up costing me; it may not have, had I kept it. I don’t keep bank statements anymore because the bank keeps all of my information online, but I still hold on to other papers in fear that I will need them and some per advice from the IRS. Most of those papers are filed away, but I still like to go through my files and throw away things that I don't need anymore.

I do go through my stuff before shredding and discarding many of those things once in a while. I just don’t do it enough nor do I throw things away fast enough. Hopefully, the next time I set aside time to go through everything again, I will do it with the courage to let go of the things that I only think I need or want.

No comments:

Post a Comment