Friday, December 17, 2010

Sodium Laurel Sulfate

Check your soaps, detergents, shampoos and shaving cream and anything that foams and bubbles.  Chances are, it contains sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) or one of its cousins; such as sodium laureth sulfate (SLES).  SLS and SLES are both skin irritants, however, because so little is added to skin cleansing products, most people don’t feel the effects of it.  Some sources say that SLES may even contain a carcinogen.  A discouraging fact that I learned at a health seminar is that it’s nearly impossible to cleanse these toxins from the body completely. 

I don't have a sensitivity to SLS, however, my rule of thumb is that if it sounds like it was made in a chemistry lab, it is highly probable that it's best to leave it on the shelf at the store.  It is very difficult to live by this rule, so I normally focus on keeping toxins that I know about out of my house.  SLS and SLES I learned about recently; and they were the most difficult toxins to rid my house of.  It took me at least two weeks to get all of it out of my house.  It was difficult because it seemed like it was in everything; soaps, detergents, facial cleansers, shaving cream and even toothpaste.  Of course I didn’t want to throw it all away because some of it was unopened.  Thank goodness, the grocery store took all of my unused products back.  Whole Foods especially understood when I told them that I’m trying to get rid of products with these sulfates.  The individual in the nutrition department told me that Whole Foods was challenging companies that made soaps, toothpastes and such to make products without those synthetic/chemical sulfates because there were so many customers who were sensitive to it.  Even my dentist offered SLS free toothpastes upon request.

There are many companies that now proudly produce SLS free products.  You may find them in the regular grocery store, however, you are likely to have more choices at Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage or any other health food store.

No comments:

Post a Comment