Thursday, December 2, 2010

Eating Styles

America is the most well fed and undernourished country in the world, I’ve heard it over and over again.  During my third year of college almost all of my friends were foreign.  I believe every one of them gained weight when they moved to this country.   I met one of my friends after she gained weight (and a lot of it).  When I saw a picture of what she looked like in Japan my mouth just dropped.  She was so slender!  Eating well in some parts of the world is just natural, but in this country it’s a skill. 

The good news is that there are a variety of eating styles to choose from, I’ll mention a few that I’m familiar with.  Some people choose to eat vegan.  This isn’t really for me because I’m a meat eater.  I was a (pesco-lacto-ovo) vegetarian for a number of years, but started eating red meat a few years ago when my body called for it.  The only problem with being any kind of vegetarian is that a number of vegans I know don’t eat the best of vegan food.  They just aren’t careful about their sugar and processed food intake.  In my experience, that is an eating style bound for illness.  If one chooses vegetarian foods that nourish and one watches one's sugar intake, however, vegan diets can be VERY healthy.  There is also the raw food diet which a number of people swear by.  I read an article about a woman who covered her stove and put a cutting board on top.  From then on, she and her family ate raw (vegan) food.  Another diet many swear by is what Maximized Living calls the healing diet.  This diet is mainly protein and vegetables with very little carbohydrates.  More than anything, however, Maximized Living advises against America's toxic diet.  I have spoken to people who were on the healing diet and they claimed that they watched pounds just melt off of their bodies.  I spoke to another woman who hurt her back years ago and was in pain daily.  With chiropractic work and the healing diet she can now walk and is pain free.  Another diet that I’ve seen is one that many Adventists live by.  It is mostly vegetarian; however they do eat occasional chicken and fish but absolutely no red meat.

Which one of these eating styles is the winner?  Well, that’s up to you.  People who fall into any one of these categories believe with all their heart that that is the way to go.  So how do you figure out which style is best for you?  Keep reading for some basics to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment