Friday, December 3, 2010

My Response to Herbal Treatments for Depression

I just read an article that discussed natural treatments for depression.  There are many herbal ways to treat depression.  I believe the most popular is St. John's Wort.  In my experience, St. John's Wort maybe excellent for a temporary depression, for example, if one experiences the death of a loved one.  However, I didn't find it to be the best way to treat clinical depression.

One component of clinical depression that many people aren't aware of is a mental sluggishness.  I remember constantly telling my parents that I was tired.  They couldn't understand how it was possible that I was constantly exhausted with all of the sleep that I would get (especially during a depressive episode).  Ginseng was helpful for the exhaustion and St. John’s Wort was helpful for other symptoms, but I don’t remember it making enough of an impact for me to recommend it to others that suffer from clinical depression.  There are many things that I recommend certain herbal treatments for, but clinical depression isn’t one of them.

Again depression is curable, but you need to fix the actual problem.  The only way I know of is neurofeedback treatment.  Try going to www.eeginfo.com to find a clinic near you and look for one that does brain mapping.  In my experience, the clinics that don’t do brain mapping or some such brain assessment may not be of any help or they may even make matters worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment