Thursday, December 2, 2010

Eating Styles (Part 2)

The way that I eat doesn’t really fall into any particular category that I mentioned in the last post.  I do eat grain, unlike the healing diet guidelines as I understand it, but I usually make sure that it is whole grain and not refined grain except for organic spelt breads or organic spelt English muffins.  As I mentioned in the last post, I am a meat eater; but it must be either grass fed beef or bison.  Chicken and fish I also eat a lot of, but the chicken must be free range and I stay away from tuna because of the insane amount of mercury content in it.  Detox is something I once made sure to do three times per year, however, my doctor recently advised against doing any kind of cleanse during the winter so I will do another cleanse in the spring.  In the meantime I’ll drink some milk thistle to keep my liver nice and clean.  I made such a habit of drinking water that I rarely ever drink iced teas or juices and I can’t even remember the last time I had soda.   I don’t really drink juices, I more often use it to sweeten something; like a smoothie or something that I bake.  In any case, when I buy juice I always make sure that it’s a Lakewood brand juice.  I like Lakewood because they sell mostly organic fresh pressed juices.  I avoid eating or drinking anything in cans or plastic.  Instead I always look for glass contained foods or drinks.  I avoid white sugar; instead I use fruit juice, maple syrup (the real stuff not the Mrs. Butterworth junk) or honey (real raw honey not the Golden Blossom goop).  On the days when I want to avoid sugar entirely, I’ll use stevia or xylitol.  Foods on the “no way” list also include anything that contains white flour, hydrogenated oils, reduced iron, BHT,BHA, RDHD, aspartame, white sugar, brown sugar, splenda, high fructose corn syrup, non certified organic almonds, artificial flavors and some natural flavors, artificial colors, and anything that sounds like it came from a chemistry lab.

My doctors unanimously approve of my eating style so far.  The only thing that was often advised against was my use of agave nectar which made me very sad because I used to love the stuff.  I did stop using it though.  I will write more in the future about eating styles, but in the meantime I hope this was helpful.  Be well my friends!

2 comments: