Thursday, June 23, 2011

3 Year Old Vegetarian

My 3yr old will NOT eat meat. Well, he does he eat some..but barely and he's REALLY picky about food. I've been told its the age but either way, HE HAS TO EAT!! I've been feeding him veggies and rice but I need more ideas/options. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!

There are many different healthy meals that kids do like. For example, if you simply add lentils or chick peas to his rice and vegetables...  voila!  You've served him a full meal!  I make this for my husband on our non-meat eating days which we have often; simply because such dishes are cheap, easy and healthy.  I usually use brown rice not white.  Short grain brown rice has a cereal like consistency that I enjoy and I often mix my rice with pearled barley; but this is just a personal favorite.  Long grain brown rice is equally as healthy.  Just to add vitamins and a nice nutty flavor, I often sprinkle some brewer's yeast on the rice.  Whole grain pastas can be a wonderful treat if you add butter and Parmesan or Romano cheese (I'd stick with organic dairy to avoid hormones, antibiotics and other nasty things found in many conventionally raised cows).  Don't add too much heat to the butter because you want the nutrients to stay intact.  I usually allow the heat from the cooked pasta to melt the butter.  Add some extra vitamins to this meal by sprinkling some Salba seeds.  Salba seeds have no flavor so he won't even taste it in the pasta. [Make sure you ALWAYS get whole grain pastas or breads... etc.  Many doctors are finding that white flour, white sugar, white pasta and white rice all have toxic effects on the body that can eventually lead to obesity, heart disease and even cancer (and impotence in men). Read the ingredients and make sure that it says WHOLE WHEAT or whole grain and not just wheat flour. Wheat flour is white flour in disguise.]  If you mix some organic Kelp grains into the meal in lieu of salt, that would be his iodine intake right there!  

If there are any other suggestions for this mom; questions, comments and furthermores are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment