Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Household Mold Solutions

After a heavy rainfall, there was a leak in my bedroom.  We were unaware that this was happening so the water sat there and lead to disgusting mold in my carpet and on my wall.  We repaired the crack that allowed the water to come into the house, but then we had the problem with mold in the carpet and on the wall.  I've wanted to get rid of our carpet for a while now.  If we were looking to make this house our permanent home we probably wouldn't even have the carpet anymore.  Since we do, however, I found the following to be effective as far as getting rid of the mold.

I have a mini carpet cleaner.  Instead of the nasty toxic carpet cleaner liquids, I filled it with water, castile soap and 100% pure Australian myrtle lemon oil.  I scrubbed my carpet and my wall with the solution.  Then I used a hairdryer to apply some heat.  I allowed it to dry.  Tomorrow I will add some baking soda mixed with tea tree oil and brush the mixture into the carpet just to fight any lingering mold and absorb odors.

So far it seemed to work really well.  I was able to clean off the mold without using toxic cleaners and my bedroom smells wonderful because of the lemon myrtle oil.  If you have any questions, comments or furthermores; as always they are very welcome!

4 comments:

  1. The problem with finding mildew on your carpet is that often the cause lies beneath the carpet. In this case, which is a bit serious, it's advisable to engage a professional carpet cleaning service to do your carpet cleaning for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, my friend!

    Thank you so much for your advice. I can't say that I haven't thought about getting my carpet cleaned professionally because I know how toxic carpet can be. To be honest, however, what I want to do more than anything is have the carpet in my house removed for good and replace it with cork. Mold doesn't grow on hard floors as easily, but mold simply does not grow on cork. Mold doesn't like cork and neither do bugs; these are two wonderful reasons to go with cork! Besides that, I saw cork tile and some of the designs are very beautiful.

    The method that I've used above is a way to get as much of the mold up myself just for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this concept. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!!

    Tree Cutting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you so much Devid! I look forward to hearing from you in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete