Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Saying "No"

Toddlers say this word so liberally.  They will even say "no" to things that they want sometimes; just to show mom and dad who is REALLY boss.  "No" for them is necessary to learn how to define and defend boundaries; meanwhile parents must teach them that there are boundaries that needs to be respected as well.  I often wonder where along the way saying "no" became such a chore for me.

By the time I was in my late teens, I felt the need to please EVERYONE.  Since this task was impossible, I'm sure you could imagine that this was stressful for me.  This was a tremendous disservice to myself and everyone around me.  I ignored all that I was and meant to be because of this habit.  I'm so happy that I broke it, but it creeps back every once in a while.

Are you a people pleaser?  How do you experience the word "no"?

No comments:

Post a Comment