Saturday, June 18, 2011

DIY Worm Bin

I like this presentation on how to make your own worm bin.  The only problems that I have with this is the plastic storage bin as a container and the newspaper as a worm bed.  Newspaper can break down, but I'm not sure if there are toxins in the ink; plastic containers, as many of us know, aren't green.   Plastic doesn't break down which makes it a hazard to the environment; therefore when I can avoid it, I do.

Instead of the newspaper, I will be using coconut fiber bricks (below).  You just soak them in water and you have a nice, moist, non-toxic worm bed.  It is also has a consistency closer to real dirt so our squirmy little pets will be at home.  As in the previous post, I feel that a wood container is better than the plastic, however, plastic is the most suggested container for DIY worm bins.  If you purchased the Geoff Hamilton book on Organic Gardening; pg 32 gives step by step instructions on how to make a worm bin using wood.

For those of you who are just looking for something simple for now; here is a step by step guide on how to make a worm bin.




No comments:

Post a Comment