Sunday, June 12, 2011

Calcium

I've never considered milk a good source of calcium contrary to what all the commercials say and schools teach.  I was taught to drink my milk in nursery school and elementary school, I'm sure my teachers were taught the same in their day.  HSPH (Harvard School of Public Health) produced an article that shows that they agree with me.

"Look beyond the dairy aisle" was the advice given by HSPH.  Dark leafy green vegetables are rich in a variety of vitamins including calcium.  Salba seeds are a way to get some calcium in for younger and more finicky eaters.  One serving of Salba seeds is higher in calcium that a serving of milk.  Sprinkle some on their toast or in their cereal.  The lack of flavor in Salba seeds will give you the freedom to sprinkle it on anything from meat to dessert.  Weight bearing exercise forces calcium into the bones; one of MANY reasons why I love this type of exercise.  

This post isn't implying that milk is bad.  Milk simply doesn't play as big a part in healthy bones as we were taught, but it can definitely play a part in your healthy diet.  Of course, the only switch I would advise is switching to organic milk.  Milk from rBGH injected cows is anything EXCEPT healthy.  If you are lactose intolerant like me, check with your doctor.  You may be able to tolerate fattier dairy products like butter, cream and fatty cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment