Thursday, June 23, 2011

First Aid: Stye and Conjunctivitis Part II

Pubmed suggests that a stye is caused by a bacteria invading oil glands in the eyelids.  Ouch!  It sounds pretty gross but it makes sense why the bancha tea works.  Bancha tea is Japanese green tea and green tea is a cleanser; plus bacteria hates the heat from the teabag.  The article suggests that if you are prone to getting styes often to be sure to keep your eyelids clean.

Conjunctivitis is also caused by bacteria, only it attacks the conjunctiva or the membrane that lines the inner part of the eyelids and the white of your eye.  Washing my eye out would probably help to keep pink eye away as well, however, I don't want to rely on the herbs.  I want my body to be accustomed to fighting disease on it's own when it can because that will make it stronger.  There are bacteria killing agents in tears as well as antibodies, so my body can fight it off if it is strong enough.

Rue Fennel is an herb that I used to wash my eye out.  I'm using it more often these days because I would be happier not to get styes as often as I used to.  But I will decrease using it and very soon I will stop using it all together.  I only use the Borion tablets and the Similasan eye drops if I actually have pink eye even though it is very gentle.  Again, I want my body to be accustomed to fighting on it's own when it can; I will only give it the boost that it needs when it actually needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment