Friday, September 30, 2011

Your Child's Brain on Sugar

One thing that bothered me as a school counselor/teacher was when I watched teachers and counselors give kids toxins like candy and refined sugary foods as "rewards" for being good. I was asked to give these things to kids too, however, my excuse was my ONE student (a 14 year old) who had diabetes. I would say that because of him, I wouldn't give it to anyone. I would think of alternative rewards to give instead.

I found a study that demonstrates how the brain does NOT function on sugar. Students with attentional difficulties were able to focus far better when sugar was taken out of their diets according to this study. 1 in 6 school aged kids have learning disabilities (and 1 in 450 have diabetes), but teachers still give these toxins to students to eat. It's very upsetting to me. It is even more upsetting when those same teachers punish those kids for not focusing.  It really ticked me off when the kids who ate that garbage came to MY class with a headache or feeling too tired to focus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment