Sunday, September 18, 2011

Defeating Temptation (Part III)

Pizza Hut pan pizza was another great weakness of mine.  For so many reasons I had to give up Pizza Hut.  I mean, Pizza Hut pan pizzas had sugar, white flour, trans fats and things that I didn't even know to stay away from at the time.  For years, however, I just couldn’t stop going back for more.  It’s a miracle that I was never obese or even overweight because I would take down a medium size pan pizza with bread sticks in one sitting.  There were so many things that triggered cravings.  Sadness was a trigger for chocolate treats, but it was a trigger for Pizza Hut pan pizzas too.  When friends suggested that we eat there I wouldn't even try to protest.  In fact, I would just have to smell a pan pizza and I had to have some.  With Pizza Hut, the issue was an addiction so this wasn't an easy habit to break.  In order to kick this habit, I had to go much deeper.  I had to remember all of the reasons why I had to give it up.  I examined all my patterns that involved my eating Pizza Hut; especially when I was eating a whole pie by myself in an isolated place.  I had patterns of eating Pizza Hut alone after a depressive episode or when one was brewing.  This is part of the reason why it was a difficult habit to break; it was a habit that was entangled with many emotional attachments.  I knew that if I was eating Pizza Hut with friends it was bad enough, but when I was scarfing down a whole pie by myself there was something dreadfully wrong with me in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment