Sunday, September 18, 2011

Defeating Temptation (Part IV)

My journey toward kicking the Pizza Hut pan pizza habit finally began in Italy.  You see, I had a taste of a real margarita (pizza), and it was better than Pizza Hut.  In fact, it was the best pizza I've ever had.  When I came home to the states, I never saw Pizza Hut the same; for my perception of American pizza had changed.  American pizzas didn't appeal to me as much anymore.  I still had cravings for Pizza Hut for a while, but not as often.  At that point, my cravings were mostly connected to depression episodes.  I remember the last slice I've ever had was in Arizona when I was in the middle of neurofeedback therapy.  I realized then that I had lost my taste for Pizza Hut completely.

During that time in Arizona, I was also eating much more fresh foods so my body began to have an aversion to the very idea of a Pizza Hut and many other kinds of junky foods.  A new perception of pizza wasn't the only thing I brought back from Italy with me.  I also brought home a new skill; making homemade pizza/pasta sauce!  Alvarado St. Bakery brand had a whole grain crust that I found to be very tasty and it didn't make me ill.  With this new pizza crust and my own homemade sauce, I learned how to make a pizza that I liked even more than Pizza Hut AND it was a nourishing pizza that didn't make me ill the way Pizza Hut did.  Once I learned how to make my own pizza, Pizza Hut was a distant memory.  Now I can enjoy pizza, but a much healthier and tastier version of the garbage that I was addicted to. 

I just learned a couple of recipes for gluten free crusts that I'm aching to try.  I'll be sure to post my progress with it.

2 comments:

  1. if you ever come across a wheat free, dairy free pizza do send it this way. I know its pretty unlikely. I don't have issues with wheat and dairy but my wife does, so we don't do it at home and I'm kind of missing it.

    I totally agree that eating good healthy food makes you look at junk a whole different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel Gordon, I've been searching for a gluten free and dairy free crust myself. My body doesn't do well with flour unless it is from sprouted grain; but I enjoy gluten free too as long as there isn't any added sugar. I thought that I was lactose intolerant, however, I've recently discovered that I can have milk as long as it's raw. I can have pasteurized butter and a little cheese occasionally without a problem; but I try to stick with whatever I can make from my raw milk.

    Please see my post on September 20th 2011 for a pizza crust recipe that you may want to try.

    ReplyDelete