Sunday, September 11, 2011

US Phude

Dr. Rima wouldn't insult the word food by labeling fakes like GMOs as such.  I like how she gave the label "Phude" to GMOs and other fake forms of food.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find food in the US.  

I'm very surprised about how easy it was to find good, fresh, clean food in Jamaica, for example.  When I went to parties that were catered at a hotel, I had to avoid the foods because much of it was imported from the United States.  So I had to avoid fried foods (because of GM canola oil and trans fats), white flour, sugar unless it was cane sugar (GMO), papaya (a rising GMO) and soy (also GMO) which fortunately isn't in as many foods over there as it is here.  If I was in a restaurant or anywhere else, however, I was often able to find food that was perfectly fine for me to eat though.  I could go to restaurants and order grilled or steamed fish (fresh, fresh fish), or I could have someone with a small business on the side of the road make some freshly cooked jerk foods (jerk chicken, jerk fish...).  I just had to make sure that they used coconut oil and not canola if anything was fried, but other than that I had no problem.

It is sad how "advanced" this country is suppose to be, yet to find good healthy food is becoming closer and closer to impossible.  Even the OCA talks about the mockery that politics is starting to make of organic food.  I spend so much money to get real food; yet sometimes organic beef and chicken can be raised in an environment that isn't very different from a CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation) or a factory farm.  I'll still buy the organic to avoid the hormones and the antibiotics and such, but it is still upsetting that it isn't what I thought unless I buy from a small local farm.

I am still hoping for the day that the US allows us more choices when it comes to food.  It is frustrating that disease causing phude like GMO is perfectly legal but good food like raw milk is illegal.  I'm disgusted, frustrated and desperately hoping for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment