Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hope for a Healthy America (II)

I'm not crazy about what Big Pharma and Big Biotechna is doing to the environment, however, I am a believer in the free market.  If they have a product to sell and there are consumers out there who want it, then they should be able to buy it.  At the same time, the same should apply to everyone.  If a dairy farmer produces good, healthy raw milk and there are consumers out there willing to buy it, they should be able to sell it too.

Regulation is fine, however, too much can overwhelm people.  People feel that if something is sold on the market, it should be safe.  I perfectly understand this and I agree.  The government is a necessary evil and even though they often do a wonderful job they aren't infallible.  The government needs to have a certain amount of authority, however, we need to be more careful about the power that we give to them.  I don't want the government telling me what I must do to be healthy if I don't see that their advice produced health thus far and this is what is happening.  Two examples of this is the fact that vaccines are mandated and raw milk is illegal.

No company likes competition, however, competition is a part of business so they all need to get over that.  The free market is about giving us all choices.  Therefore pharmaceuticals will be around if anyone needs them, but alternatives that have clinically proven effectiveness should be available as well.  My hope is that this comes back again one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment