Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Chemical Imbalance

I keep reading and hearing that mental illness is not a chemical imbalance.  I feel that it is necessary to be careful when making such statements.  Maybe the chemical imbalance isn't necessarily the CAUSE for everyone; however, I saw what depression looks like on a brainmap before I started neurofeedback therapy.  Depression and OCD, for example, look different on a brainmap because there are different problems with different brainwaves.  Doesn't that suggest a possible imbalance chemically or otherwise?

Even IF there is such a thing as the chemical imbalance that is NOT to say that drugs are the way to treat it.  I’ve been on Prozac and I felt like I was a slave to it for a year and then I started having depressive episodes again within two years after termination of drug treatment.  Seven years ago after 64 sessions of neurofeedback I NEVER had another depressive episode again.  I could write a novel about how my life has changed since; it's AMAZING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment