Monday, September 19, 2011

Misconceptions about Health

Media can be a powerful asset, but it has been notorious for providing very misleading information about health.  For example, many are lead to believe that if you are thin or muscular then you are healthy and this isn’t necessarily true.  Exercise is highly recommended, however, it isn’t everything.  One of my past clients (someone that I trained) was a nurse who wanted to start an exercise program.  Five minutes into our fitness assessment, she had to go outside for a smoke.  I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking her again why she wanted to start coming to the gym.  

I read an article that revealed that 90% Americans claim that they eat a healthy diet, yet we have a 60% overweight or obesity rate.  I myself did a survey a few years ago at a high school in San Diego.  I interviewed several high school students and more than half of them claimed to be semi health conscious to health conscious.  These were the same students who ate and drank sugary processed foods at lunch.  It doesn’t take a mathematician to look at these numbers and realize that we have the wrong idea about health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment