Saturday, September 17, 2011

Defeating Temptation (Part II)

Once I figured out that sadness triggers this emotional and physical desire for chocolate, I realized needed a plan so that I wouldn't have to feel sick from chocolate right after I felt sad about something.  I needed an alternative.  In other words, I needed a healthier habit to replace the unhealthy one.  It was certain that giving chocolate up was a losing battle.  When I was sad, I was vulnerable and my emotions were likely to convince me that I was in need of chocolate.  I decided that when I was sad that I should try to reach for something that doesn't hurt as much as my favorite chocolate treats.  I found out that dark chocolate has far less sugar than milk chocolate and it doesn't contain dairy.  It was actually the sugar and the milk in the chocolate that was hurtful to me, and what I really craved was the cocoa.  A little dark chocolate went a long way for me.  Dark chocolate save my body from the sugar and dairy than it couldn't handle.  The amount of chocolate that I ate decreased progressively over the course of four years.  I discovered that I didn't have to give up the cocoa, just the junk that was often mixed in with it.  These days, I have chocolate treats on occasion at an organic restaurant where they have plenty of choices of deserts made from organic cocoa.  Most milk chocolate treats don't even tempt me anymore and I can easily resist the one that tempts me a little.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I had it.


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the dark chocolate thing, and for me it has to be organic. One little square of 85% cocoa choc is all I really need when I feel in the need of choc. In fact good quality choc is full of great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your response my friend! You are and always will be welcome!

    I usually go for the high quality organic cocoa as well! It's ridiculous what I used to spend on it though. The higher the quality, the higher the price; but to be honest, it was always worth it!

    I don't eat as much of the chocolate bars anymore for fear of the sugar (even though it is just a little bit of sugar). I will still occasionally eat some desserts (at specific restaurants) with cocoa in it though. The restaurants that I go to will use sucanat, maple or honey but not the overly processed sugar from beets. So I still get my cocoa fix now and again.

    ReplyDelete