Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Laughter II

Laughter is key in my life. Besides strengthening my relationships, it strengthens the immune system and decreases stress and pain.  But then again, the fact that laughter decreases pain isn't exactly a new fact to most people.  Think about it, if you are in pain, how much are you thinking about it if you are busy laughing? The only exception to this is when you have an abdominal injury or something.  I was just thinking of when my dad came home from surgery on his abdomen many years ago, laughter actually did hurt him. Other than such a situation, laughter is great therapy for any other ailment AND it is great preventive medicine.

I want to also share something interesting I read about laughter in animals.  The one that I found most fascinating was the study on laughter in dogs.  A dog's laughter sounds like panting, however, this "laughter" type panting was recorded and played for dogs at a shelter, it reduced stress and increased socialization and playing.  I found this to be very inspiring, but not very surprising.

So, find time to laugh everyday. One half hour of your favorite comedy per day at least is all that is necessary to reduce stress and strengthen the heart and immune system.

Here is more Jeff Allen:

2 comments:

  1. FIRST I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I REALLY ENJOYED THE VIDEO. I REALLY NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH. I AGREE THAT LAUGHTER IS A GOOD STRESS RELEIVER BUT WHEN ONE IS AROUND TOXIC PEOPLE IT IS SURE HARD TO LAUGH. ONE HAS TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE TOXIC. IT'S SOMETHING THAT IS AN ONGOING BATTLE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR SURROUNDED WITH TOXCITY! IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE A GOOD LAUGH. MORE IMPORTANTLY, SOMEONE YOU CAN JUST
    "LET IT ALL OUT"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. My opinion, however, slightly differs on one point and I'll share this to empower and encourage you. Yes, it is difficult to laugh when you have ANY toxin around you. For sensitive individuals like you and I it is especially difficult when that toxicity is generated by people; however, I ALWAYS try to laugh about my dark days. I can't say that I'm always successful, but I do try. When I have difficult people in my life, it's even MORE important to find the comedy.

    I remember having a toxic roommate situation several years ago. That was most difficult for me because she was a horrible toxin and she was in my house. Laughter was essential at that particular point in my life. It was the only way I could keep going until I was able to improve my situation. You see, when you laugh at your trials, you take away the power that it has over you. Take Jeff Allen; if you knew of his VERY DIFFICULT past you would wonder how he makes a living making people laugh. Once you understand what laughing at your worst times can do for you, you wonder why more people with dark days don't turn to comedy as a method of therapy.

    ReplyDelete