Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hydrogenated Oil

Hydrogenated oils, also known as trans fats, are added to products in order to increase their shelf life.  I never understood why companies would ruin foods by putting this stuff in it until recently.  It is a toxin that is partially responsible for the epidemic of obesity in this and other countries.  Even Melaleuca, a company whose cleaners I LOVE, a company who prides themselves on the healthy nature of their products puts this stuff in some of their cosmetics; at least they did when I used to buy their products a few years ago. 

For YEARS when I saw that foods had hydrogenated oils, I wouldn’t dare take it home.  I didn’t even think about the foods that I’ve eaten in restaurants though.  I know even recently I must have had some trans fat.  There is a restaurant a family member of mine LOVES and I finally had to clamp up and tell her that I can’t eat there anymore.  I’m glad that I did that because now at least that is one toxic pool that I can avoid swimming in.  Because there are so few “toxic pools” in my life one fewer is plenty.

I urge you to check those ingredients.  Pastries, crackers, chips, fries, fried foods and even some “health foods” contain trans fat; read the ingredients.  If it contains hydrogenated oil, then it is better off left on the shelf.  Trans fat isn’t something that can be removed from the body very quickly or easily; so let's avoid putting it in there.

As I've talked about in a previous post, cooking with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil is another good way to avoid trans fats.

No comments:

Post a Comment