Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Iodine Deficiency

It is worth it to talk to your health care provider about iodine.  Are you deficient?  Some doctors believe that many Americans are.  With the American dietary norms, it wouldn't surprise me if these doctors are correct.

Iodine is the one nutrient I knew I was lacking for a very long time.  I stopped eating iodized salt a long time ago because I know very little about how iodine is added into salts.  I have used sea salt for years.  Sea salt contains a little iodine, but perhaps not enough for healthy iodine maintenance. 

Sea veggies are very high in iodine as well as other essential vitamins and minerals.  The three that I eat are kombu, nori and kelp.  I add a little kombu to beans,  bean stews and sometimes other stews as well.  By adding kelp granules or powder to your salads or snacks you could easily increase your daily dose.  I use kelp as a salt alternative.  I still use a little salt sometimes, but not as much as I would without the kelp.  Roasted nori snacks don't contain as much iodine as kombu and kelp, but besides being nummy they are packed with vitamins.  The nori snacks happen to be one of my favorites by the way!

Below are the products that I use.  You could find them in your local health food store.  If for some reason you can't find these in your health food store you can buy them by clicking the "buy through amazon.com" buttons below the item that you want.  The prices seem high because if you purchase them through this site, you will purchase them in a package.  The kelp and kombu are in packages of 6 and the Sea Gifts nori snacks are in a package of 24.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment