Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feedback on Laughter

"I AGREE THAT LAUGHTER IS A GOOD STRESS RELIEVER BUT WHEN ONE IS AROUND TOXIC PEOPLE IT IS SURE HARD TO LAUGH. ONE HAS TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE TOXIC. IT'S SOMETHING THAT IS AN ONGOING BATTLE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’RE SURROUNDED WITH TOXICITY! IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE A GOOD LAUGH. MORE IMPORTANTLY, SOMEONE YOU CAN JUST  'LET IT ALL OUT'"

I know what you mean.  My opinion, however, slightly differs on one point and I'll share this to empower and encourage you.  Yes, it is difficult to laugh when you have ANY toxin around you.  For sensitive individuals like you and I it especially seems difficult when that toxicity is generated by people's actions; however, I ALWAYS try to laugh about my dark days.  I can't say that I'm always successful, but I do try.  When I have difficult people in my life, it's even MORE important to find the comedy. 

I remember having a toxic roommate situation several years ago.  That was most difficult for me because she was a horrible toxin and she was in my house.  Laughter was essential at that particular point in my life.  It was the only way I could keep going until I was able to improve my situation.  You see, when you laugh at your trials, you take away the power that it has over you.  Take Jeff Allen; if you knew of his VERY DIFFICULT past you would wonder how he makes a living making people laugh.  Once you understand what laughing at your worst times can do for you, you wonder why more people with dark days don't turn to comedy as a method of therapy.

You and I see eye to eye on what you said about having someone around to “let it all out” with though.  On that point, I agree with you with all my heart and soul.  The one thing that is more powerful than finding the comedy in your dark days and laughing about it, is laughing with someone.  Then your past bad days brighten your "today" and someone else’s "today" simultaneously.  Often, THAT is what comedy is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment