Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Health Food Stores vs The Supermarket

This post is inspired by a project that a girlfriend of mine is doing for school.  She has to write about why people shop at health food stores as opposed to the regular supermarkets.  What does the health food store have that the supermarket doesn’t besides raised prices?  Well, let’s explore this.

In my observation, the supermarket sells products that have a lower price because of their low quality or because of their highly toxic content.  People who shop at health food stores either have allergies or they are like me and they realize that their bodies are healthier when the toxicity level in their body and household is low. 

When I go to Wal-Mart or other supermarkets and pass the isles with cleaners, I gag or hold my breath.  Those things are so potent and toxic; I wonder how more people don’t drop dead from these nasty fumes.  The last time I went to the east coast to visit my mom, I remember going to the supermarket with her to search for some quality whole grain bread.  I found everything under the sun except that.  The breads either weren't whole grain or they had some toxic ingredient like hydrogenated oil, reduced iron or sugar.

I shop at health food stores because I know that my choices aren't limited to that junk.  I may have to pay more, but I have made a decision a long time ago that my energy and health is worth the extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment