Friday, April 1, 2011

Small Farmers

Small farmer and farmer's markets, in my opinion, can be FABULOUS resources.  If you live near a small farm where you can get your fresh produce or dairy, I would be all over that! 

I've always had good experiences with small farms and farmer's markets, however few.  There was a farmer's market every Friday very close to where I used to live in California.  It was one of few places where I could get organic produce for cheap.  I went to a farm in Colorado where they raised buffalo.  We purchased a variety of their fresh buffalo meat and it was excellent.  I don't doubt that it was nutrient packed too.  Unpasteurized butter has more vitamin A than pasteurized butter.  Problem is, it's illegal to sell unpasteurized butter in stores in Colorado so someone suggested to go to someone with a small dairy farm.  People are afraid to eat unpasteurized dairy because of the possibility of disease.  In some states they can sell unpasteurized butter and the raw butter needs to put that warning on the label.  I understand that concern, it is a concern for me too; obviously I don't want to get sick.  I do know that there are ways to stomp disease before it starts without heat though.  For example, two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water would kill any microbes.  A Russian friend of mine made sure she had some raw apple cider vinegar every day.

There are decisions that we need to make about our health and the health of our families daily.  I am the first to say that it is a big responsibility, but I am determined to make the best choices.  When I can, I try to go to small farms for my food.  Perhaps after further research, I may find some more of these farms so I can make more of a habit of shopping there.

No comments:

Post a Comment