Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Discussion on Whole Health Destinations Page

The following is an excerpt from a discussion in the Healthy Relationships forum on the Whole Health Destinations page.  You are all welcome to join and comment:

Kw comments:
"Healthy Relationships start with liking yourself.

We all must be honest about what our strengths and positive traits are.

Because life is a journey, we need to learn how to take control of our thought life.
When I think positive thoughts, negative ones cannot distract me.
That can be a weekly, daily or hourly challenge!

I try to give someone what they need as opposed to what they want.
I try to understand that they do not have to be "labeled" for who they used to be many years ago.
People do change and many learn from their mistakes.

The only person you can change is yourself.
You may be able to influence others but sometimes you have to give up your right to share "how you feel' in order to see how another person reacts to the adversity in their life
."

Be Well My Friends replies:
I agree with your point about how a healthy relationship starts with liking yourself.  I learned in one of my many psych classes that "I must be a happy me before I can become a happy we" as a fundamental rule.

Being positive just makes sense because it improves our individual health and as stated both in your post and again above, the healthier I am as an individual, the more I will contribute to the health of my relationships. 

I also like what you said about trying to give people what they need as opposed to what they want.  What we want can often ironically contradict what we need which is why we are constantly warned to be careful of what we wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment