Monday, April 25, 2011

Decreasing Toxicity: Relationships II

Having toxic relationships, can be just as hazardous as eating toxic food and inhaling toxic fumes.  As you know, stress can impact the body.  From my experience, I've seen how stress from toxic relationships can eventually have fatal impacts on organs.  The ones that I've seen most often affected are the heart, liver and gallbladder.  It can even hurt the immune system.  A very close friend of mine held on to her toxic marriage as long as she could until she finally got ill.  Lymphoma woke her up and forced her into a different direction.

I have found that when there is corruption in the flow of a relationship that can't be resolved, it is best to make drastic personal changes or to just let the relationship go.  In other words, you may have to work out a situation where you decrease your contact with the toxic individual or it could even mean that you need to strengthen your boundaries.  In my case, I often had situations where I simply had to strengthen my boundaries.  That worked out for me so well, that I rarely had to cut people out of my life.

So this week, let's scrutinize our relationships; are there toxic people in your life?  What changes will you make to move toward a healthier relationship with the one that you have trouble with?  What steps will you take to strengthen your boundaries?  What changes will you make to find healthier relationships in the future? 

No comments:

Post a Comment