Saturday, April 16, 2011

Environment: Trash

Recycling is currently routine in this house.  The more we recycle, the fewer items go into the landfill.  I openly admit that I can do better, however.

Many Whole Foods Markets that I've been to have a system where they have three trash bins.  There is a trash bin for recylcing, there is another trash bin for composting, and there is another trash bin labeled as "landfill" which is for everything else.

Gardening is something that I'm just beginning to learn about, but it is also a wonderful excuse to start composting.  I'm learning about different ways to compost.  I recently read about red worms in a Natural Home magazine.  Red worms aren't the only kinds of worms that you can use to make worm compost.  I'm also learning that worm compost is a little more complicated than I thought.  I didn't know that if you put too much food in the worm bin the worms can die.  So I want to do more research and find out which would be best.  In other words, do I just use regular compost or do I do compost and a worm bin? 

To all of the gardening experts, here is where I can use your guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment