Sunday, April 10, 2011

Senate Bill 31

I researched as much info as I can find on SB 31 and if I understand correctly, North Carolina is reinforcing a law that has already been in place; making harsher penalties for people who aren’t licensed to practice medicine.  I’m not going to pretend to understand what the ramifications may be because I don’t live in North Carolina.  They don’t have licensing for naturopathic doctors in Colorado, however, they can all practice what they do legally as long as they don’t prescribe drugs (which is ridiculous because they are FULLY trained, qualified and capable of doing so if it is necessary, but that is somewhat another issue).

This country has always been about allowing people to have choices (most of the time).  If they want to make unlicensed practice a felony, fine, that’s one thing.  There are practitioners, however, who are educated and trained in the arts and sciences of alternative care and are fully capable of treating patients.  Stopping them from doing their work is WRONG.  Perhaps what North Carolina needs, if they don’t already have one, is an organization that can license these practitioners so that they don’t lose their practices and more importantly so their patients don’t lose their healthcare.  I would imagine alternative care patients in North Carolina would be scared senseless of having to go back to the traditional model when it clearly didn’t work for them.  I would be scared senseless.  I suffered from an illness for most of my life and traditional medicine did absolutely nothing for me.  If anything, it may have made my situation worse.  I would want the choice to try something else and I would imagine that anyone else in my position would want that choice as well.

If I am correct and NC is just trying to stop fake obia men and voo-doo doctors from hurting people, that’s one thing.  I would vote yes all the way for that, unqualified fake healthcare people are dangerous and I’ve seen people get hurt because of that.  Most alternative care that I’ve sought throughout my life, however, is based in good solid science and if the new law threatens any of these fully capable practitioners then I fervently urge reconsideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment