Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Change of Direction: Part II

In a recent class, my husband learned about a college professor at a law school who assigned a book to all of his students.  It was a book written approximately 150 years ago.  Many students today had trouble reading it.  The professor would sarcastically reply to the students who complained.  He would tell them that he understands why they couldn't read it because it wasn't a book designed for the level of a law student but for the level of the common farmer who had no college education at all.  Ouch!

Another area where we are dumbing down as a society is right in our schools.  I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I've seen several schools in America where our kids aren't learning.  I mean no disrespect to today's educators who work really hard to teach our children everyday.  I have been there too, my friends.  I know you work hard, I know you want your kids to learn as I wanted mine to learn.  I'm not pointing blame at educators as much as I am trying to get the attention of educators.

If you are an educator and I have your attention, please comment below or in the Healthy Minds forum on the Whole Health Destinations page; for questions, comments and furthermores are always, always welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Often, educators teach to the average student and don't consider differences and individual learning styles. I think it is important as an teacher to build relationships with our students and foster a learning environment of academic rigor and high expectations for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent point Dani. A healthy classroom doesn't end with the diet of the students nor does it end with the decrease of toxicity in their environment. Those are two components of a healthy classroom. It isn't a healthy classroom, for example, if the students don't feel comfortable enough to ask their teacher questions about the material that they are learning and it isn't a healthy classroom if the students aren't being challenged to critically analyze materials that they have learned and read. Oh yes, the relationships between teachers and students are important and high expectations can also play a critical part of academic success. "Students will rise to the level of expectation" as Jaime A. Escalante demonstrated to all of his colleagues (and later the nation). He was also a fabulous example of what one teacher can accomplish when you have a strong rapport with your class.

    This is why I give school teachers my regard, for their jobs aren't easy ones. When teachers do an excellent job, however, it shows and the students remember you forever for it!

    ReplyDelete