Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Key to Victory over Candida (Part 2)

Meat was something that in the past I've tried to avoid.  During my college years, I decided to cut meat from my diet and only eat pesco-lacto-ovo-vegetarian (or what I called pesco-tarian) foods.  I remember how my energy skyrocketed.  Because of that, I stayed a pesco-tarian for years.  It was during this time, however, that I started having problems with candida overgrowth.  It was during this time that I needed to go on my first yeast free diet.  Immediately after I was done with the diet, my body had a craving.  It was the most dreadfully beastly craving for a steak.  Four years I was on this pesco-tarian diet (four years at LEAST)!  Yet immediately after my doctor said the yeast free diet was over, a big juicy steak was all that I could think about.  I actually even dreamed about steak, for crying out loud!  It never left my mind until a girlfriend (another vegetarian and another candida sufferer) had a conversation about food before we sped to the nearest steakhouse and devoured a steak together.  Other than that, and occasional homemade hamburgers (that hamburger was the work of my dear old dad whenever I visited my parents), I otherwise stuck with my pesco-tarian diet.  There came the day when the rash came back again.  I spoke with a friend (who was also a naturopathic doctor) and before she gave me a yeast killer and a probiotic, she curiously commented, "It's always the low-meat eaters and the no-meat eaters who have this problem."  This was the first time that I ever took probiotics.  Both the yeast killer and probiotic worked beautifully together.  Really dreading the yeast free diet, whenever I had a rash (a physical sign that the candida was out of control again), I would take probiotics and the rash would go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment